Thursday 2 July 2015

Let's start with a Labour story!

Hello! So I wanted to start a new blog on life with a newborn (clearly) as Finn is now the grand old age of 8 days and I feel that we have already learned so much from having him around, so much in fact that my poor tired brain needs to spill it out because it might just explode if it doesn't and exploded Mummy brain all over the place does not adhere to the guidelines when it comes to having a newborn in the house. 

So where do I begin?? Labour has got to be a good start right? I'll keep it brief!

23/06/15 

40+2 weeks pregnant baby's head so far engaged that we needed a marriage license! Gave in to having "the sweep" as the hour long round trip twice a day to pick up Ben from school was nothing short of torture and the fear of going into labour on a country road with no phone signal was giving me anxiety.

39+6 last bump pic!


24/06/15

40+3 weeks pregnant, 4:45am awoke to bright red blood and clots, freaked out, woke Bob and called L&D who told me this was normal and not too worry unless blood loss was heavy, feeling reassured I had a coffee and relaxed....

...for about 30 minutes...contractions started and they were strong, lasting about 40 seconds and taking the p*ss as the 'gap' between them was barely noticeable, so much for my early labour pampering and last minute tidy up! Called my parents to collect Ben, rang L&D who ummed and ahhed about whether I should go in but decided it was time as the pressure was steadily increasing...

7am arrived at L&D barely able to walk as the pressure was really intense, we were put in a cubicle in triage and told to wait as it was the shift change over (ahhhhhhh!!) midwife arrived approximately 3000 years later and asked for a urine sample which I wasn't able to do, I just needed to push, Bob was laughing nervously at this point and it was the only time I swore "If you're going to sit there laughing then you can F*ck off!" then felt bad and apologised! I was examined and told I was 8cm I knew from obsessively watching labour stories on You tube that meant I was having no pain relief! I also knew it was pretty much go time and did a silent cheer!

The time escapes me for the rest of the story but in a nutshell, my waters were really low and needed to break hence the extra pressure but I was told not too push as there was a cervix issue, I don't know what and I couldn't help pushing, felt naughty! I had about 3 puffs on the gas and air around this time but it made me feel light headed and weird so I made a fist and sucked the air out of that which worked so surprisingly well I would recommend it if you end up with no other option!

My waters finally broke and there was meconium in the it which meant baby had poohed and needed to come out sharpish or we would have to go to a consultant lead room as it is dangerous for the baby to inhale too much! At that point a Paediatrician, a Sister, Two more midwives and a student arrived, I freaked out again but was reassured all was fine! Twenty minutes of hard pushing and at 9:22am Baby Finn was finally here! The Paediatrician checked him, weighed him (8lb 5oz) looked happy and said "Give him to Mum" which are the best four words I have ever heard! We had a bit of skin to skin then he went off to Daddy who looked fit to burst and was given help to feed him (we bottlefeed) by the midwife, so cute to watch, and a great distraction while I was being stitched up!

He's here!! Proud Daddy moment #1
When Ben met Finn! <3


We were told that we would be discharged shortly as everything was fine but because of the meconium in my waters Finn had to be observed for 12 hours which he was and after watching the ever so patronising 'Don't shake the baby' cartoon on DVD which is compulsary apparently, the song does get stuck in your head though so fair enough, we were given the green light to leave at midnight, being as we live 10 minutes from the hospital we decided to pack up and head home, I don't think Bob was over keen on spending the night in a chair, again fair enough!

2 days old, we call this 'carseat face' 

So that's the first little instalment, I loved reading labour stories at the end of my pregnancy so I hope mine is helpful to any of you reading and watching the clock/calender!
 Please feel free to share your birth stories in the comments!!

xxx

2 comments:

  1. awww his car seat face is priceless. Thanks for sharing this. love reading these, all you ever hear is horror stories so its nice to read the other side x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know it makes me laugh so much! That's ok I'm glad you enjoyed it! The anxiety got to me regarding labour towards the end so the positive stories were a lifesaver for me! :) xxx

      Delete